SureShot™ Measurement-While-Drilling (MWD) System
APS's SureShot family of directional and directional plus gamma systems provides reliable and flexible measurement-while-drilling performance in combination with our second-generation Rotary Pulser. The system can be powered by our battery modules, our turbine alternator, or a combination of the two. This MWD system provides highly accurate azimuth and inclination data for all applications from straight-hole through horizontal drilling. Rapid and accurate toolface transmission enables the most complex well paths to be drilled with confidence.
SureShot's downhole portion includes a rugged directional sensor package with NIST-traceable magnetometer calibration; a reliable, field-proven, Rotary Pulser*; and battery and/or turbine alternator for power. SureShot's modular design allows the addition of other functions like high-quality gamma and/or vibration logging. Each package is protected by a state-of-the-art vibration isolation system and is mounted in beryllium copper or high-strength steel pressure barrels. A small, robust surface decoder interfaces with a computer running APS's SureShot Control Center software. The SureShot MWD can store up to 32 MB of MWD/LWD and diagnostic data for retrieval during trips.
SureShot's patented second-generation Rotary Pulser* is the toughest, most advanced, most LCM-tolerant mud pulse transmitter in the industry. Our pulser's ultra-reliable, high-efficiency DC brushless motor and controller, single open-flow path, positive pulse output and anti-jamming control virtually eliminates jamming or blockage, and the on-board memory allows post-run analysis of pulser performance. The Rotary Pulser is easily converted between fixed-mount and retrievable configurations.
The SureShot system is easy to learn, assemble and operate. In fact, APS's customers frequently train their personnel themselves to operate our system.
- The highly reliable APS second-generation Rotary Pulser converts easily from fixed-mount to retrievable, providing fixed-mount reliability or retrievable lost-in-hole security.
- Additional sensors including gamma, vibration monitoring and resistivity can be quickly incorporated into our "LWD-Ready" system.
- The surface system presents data in a simple, user-friendly control and display module. The data is transferred to a central control PC from which it can be directed back to a dedicated wireless rig-floor display and/or rig monitoring system.
- Multiple encoding schemes and advanced decoding enable rapid customization of the data stream for maximum speed or maximum data integrity.
- The unique APS power management module enables the system to be powered through dual battery packs or a combination of battery power and APS turbine alternator†.
- * U.S. Patents #6,714,138 and #7,327,634
- † U.S. Patent #7,201,239
TOP OF PAGE // Specifications subject to change without notice.