The APS MWD system uses either battery pack(s) housed in APS battery module(s) or a turbine alternator, which can be run alone or in combination with battery module(s).
- Use 10 x DD Lithium cells available from a number of approved suppliers (PDF).
- Available in 20,000 psi (137.9 MPa) standard version with ToughMet™ barrels, plus 25,000 psi (172.4 Mpa) with Inconel 718 barrels.
- Available with rubber fin centralization or pad centralization.
- A novel approach to intelligent MWD batteries is coming soon from APS, featuring:
- Improved battery switching and power management
- Performance data logging – current draw, voltages, temperature and other parameters
- Enhanced safety
The APS Turbine Alternator† is a high-temperature, axial flow design for use in measurement-while-drilling (MWD) and logging-while-drilling (LWD) systems. This device provides reliable, ongoing power at temperatures of up to 175°C, taking the place of expensive, short-lived disposable batteries. The turbine is configurable to match the required flow rates for typical BHA/hole size combinations.
- Provides rock-steady power over any run length.
- Reduces or eliminates battery safety issues.
- Reduces or eliminates depleted battery shipping and recycling costs.
- Satisfies power requirements for advanced LWD services, which are problematic with batteries only.
† U.S. Patent #7,201,239