A versatile Steerable solution for maximum build rate
Rotary Steerable System for Directional Drilling
The SureSteer™-RSS™475 rotary steerable tool was created to complement APS’s field-proven Rotary Steerable Motor (RSM®). Whereas the RSM incorporates an integrated power section designed to maximize horsepower at the bit, the RSS either runs below a drilling motor or is driven directly from the top drive to maximize build rate capability and drillstring speed.
The APS RSS is a modular design and is currently offered in two configurations; A 4.75” directional gamma RSS system utilizing a single collar assembly or a 2 part configuration for RSS with WPR, or higher LWD capability
Features & Benefits
- Can be programmed to use a closed-loop feedback system for vertical or tangent angle control, or to operate with surface-supplied instructions to efficiently drill any directional well plan.
- Easily programmable downhole and straightforward to use. A series of timed pump speed changes allow for switching between modes or turning the tool off for events such as wiper trips, drilling out or back-reaming.
- Desired tool face on the initial unit is set by surface orientation (similar to a steerable motor), minimizing time required for downlinking.
- Desired build rate is communicated with timed pump speed changes.
- Can be directly linked to an APS MWD or LWD system for higher-level, comprehensive trajectory control, depending on the deployment method.
- Available tool sizes: 4.75 in. (121 mm) OD for 6.0 in. (152.4 mm) and 6.75 in. (171 mm) boreholes sizes.
- The steering head houses the steering pads; directional measurement and control electronics; and the electrical and hydraulic power systems, which are driven by an integrated turbine and alternator system.
- The control electronics provide timing signals to a hydraulic manifold to control the steering direction and force to achieve the desired directional objective.
- Maximize build rate and drillstring speed during directional drilling
SureSteer-RSS Technical Data Sheet
||Nominal Hole Size
||6.0 in. (152.4 mm)
||6.75 in. (171 mm)
||Bit Box to Center of Steering Pad
||1.4 ft (0.4 m)
||Bit Box to Center of Sleeve Stabilizer
||9.3 ft (2.8 m)
||Overall Length including Pulser
||32.4 ft (9.9 m)
||Steering Pad Dia. – Retracted
||5.9 in. (149.9 mm)
||Steering Pad Dia. – Extended
||6.6 in. (167.4 mm)
||7.0 in. (177.8 mm)
||Steering Pad Upset Dia.
||5.75 in. (146 mm)
||Sleeve Stabilizer Dia.
||5.9375 in. (150.8 mm)
||6.6875 in. (169.9 mm)
||3-1/2 in. API REG box
||Top Connection – Standard, Housing
||3-1/2 in. IF box
||150 to 350 gpm (9.5 to 22 l/sec)
|Maximum Drill String Rotation Speed
|Maximum Operating Torque
||9,700 ft-lbs (13,150 N-m)
||200 psi @ 350 gpm (1.4 MPa @ 22 l/sec)
|Build Rate Capability
||To 12˚/100 ft (30 m)
||20,000 psi (137.9 MPa)
|Maximum Bend Radius – Rotating
|Maximum Bend Radius – Sliding